Wednesday, January 5, 2011

FASHIONISTA of the WEEK: Rhonda MUA McLendon



Let me introduce this weeks recognized Fashionista - RHON! She is a true beauty that embarks the complete essence of CLASS! We sat down to chat with Rhon and got her insight/opinion of fashion/make-up and her overall STYLE.






1. When did you first decide that you wanted to be in the make up industry and why?

It was in 2002. I started modeling in high school (at Western) and from there I modeled in college at Morgan. I naturally started to get into makeup because we needed it for fashion shows. So many times I did shows and I hated my makeup or the makeup artists did not have makeup for my "dark" skin so I started buying items to do my own face. My best friend and I played around in so much makeup until we became pros at it. People started liking my makeup and asked me to do their faces, so after a lot of practice, studying and workshops, the rest is history....(gosh, was that long or what??)

2. Who was your inspiration to want to become a Make-up Artist?

I don't think one person was my inspiration. I just loved the idea that "paint" in all types of forms--dry, wet, cream, talc, pencils, etc.--could totally change the way you look or improve upon whats already there. That still fascinates me. My favorite makeup artist is Kevyn Aucoin. His work is very inspiring to me, to this day.

3. What do you think is the most vital mistake women do in terms of putting on Make-Up?

Wearing too much. Unfortunately, most women just don't know when enough is too much...lol...but seriously, I'm alllll about beautifying people, not turning them into new, unrecognizable people. It bothers me so much when people just look like they are wearing a mask. A runner up to that one though is not choosing the right foundation, from color to consistency. That's VERY important.

4. How do you think Make-Up plays apart in the Fashion Industry or not?

On one hand it compliments it and on another it inspires it. There isnt a fashion show that is produced or an editorial that is shot where makeup isn't a huge part of the complete look. Every designer usually has an extensive plan for how makeup will be executed in their show and then there are designers who are inspired by some infamous makeup look like Audrey Hepburns heavy black liner and then every model has that look in the show. Makeup is necessary to the industry.

5. How would you define your sense of fashion and style?

I'm much more classic then trendy although I do fall in love with certain trends from time to time.

6. If you had to wear one look for the rest of the year, what would that look consist of?

Probably all black everything. A black blazer, black skinnies and a black tunic and of course a black pump, bootie, or over the knee boots.

7. In your opinion what is one of the biggest faux pas in today’s fashion?

Not wearing whats appropriate for the individual---from the size, style, length, etc. People just have a very skewed sense of whats appropriate to wear. Like leotards being worn at any location other than a dance studio. I just don't know who made that fashionable.

8. Would you say Make-Up gives women a boost of self esteem or is just another additive to an overall look?

Both. I know I feel very beautiful when I wear makeup but I also know its just an accessory and not really "needed."

9. Who are some of your favorite fashion designers’ and why?

Chanel is my fav. I also love Tory Burch. Two very classic, timeless designers. I love them because they aren't trendy or really eclectic designers. Their pieces from clothes to shoes to bags can be worn season after season and still be relevant.

10. As a women of class and modesty how would you say you obtained these attributes and how could  more women be of this status?

This is an excellent compliment, thank you!! I owe alot to my mom, we were and still are very close. Shes the classiest lady I know! She was very instrumental in making me the woman I am today. I just think its important to know your limits and remember that your reputation always proceeds you. I think if more women had positive role models around them and learned to think the world of themselves they would likely obtain these attributes. I am young though, so I'm still learning, year by year! (sometimes day by day, lol)

11. What do you believe is the most important quality of a woman and why?

Strength and intuition. They are equally important to me. Women are able to handle soooo many things that come their way. Life issues, child birth and rearing, sexism, I mean alot. We are just natural nurturers and problem solvers. I love that about women, and with our strength comes great intuition. The instant ability to know how to do something, or read emotions or even when our man is straying. Its truly a God-given inclination. We ROCK! Lol....

12. How do you think your profession and sense of style has impacted your life?

It effects my everyday life. My daily decision about what I'm wearing and how I will do my face to go with that look. I mean its super important to me. Looking great and feeling great is really important to me and how you look on the outside naturally affects how you feel about yourself on the inside.

 My Contact Info for Clients:

Rhonda M.

rhonislove@yahoo.com

443.801.1115

On facebook: Rhonda MUA McLendon

1 comment: